Your online activity, the things you do, the web pages you browse, or the content you see, has marketing importance. You can hide your online activity by encrypting your traffic with a VPN. Although it has been previously described how a VPN works but to freshen it up, it is a private channel that is created by the VPN server for the end-user to carry out all internet activities with absolute anonymity.
Moreover, it is not guaranteed whether your VPN provider will use that data or not by selling it to the concerned parties. This is why it is important to have the literacy of knowing how to make your own VPN with some simple steps and limited resources.
How to Make Your Own VPN?
To make sure that your online activity is safe and encrypted, you can make your own VPN at home by using simple tricks. You can have a VPN server set up in no time. All you need is a router. But it should be kept in mind that your router should be having a VPN feature in it for you to customize the settings and setting it up for client use.
Other than that, you can also make your own VPN by using a router that has DD-WRT functionality in it or you can also make your own dedicated VPN server by using Windows 10 built-in feature for setting up a VPN on your Windows device.
How to Make Your Own VPN using a Router with VPN Capabilities?
It is advised to the user that not all routers have VPN capabilities already in them. So you have to check before if your router has VPN functionality. Also, the steps will vary according to the router’s firmware. These are general guidelines that may change depending on the firmware your router has.
- Search for Router’s Manual from Google to get to know if your router supports VPN functionality or any third-party firmware (OpenWrt for instance).
- Go to your Router’s Configuration Page by typing (192.168.0.1) or (192.168.1.1) in your web browser.
- Login to the Router’s Configuration Page with the Administrator username and password. If you haven’t set any username or password for your router, you will find a sticker with credentials on the bottom of your Router Device.
- Find the VPN Page and create your own server by reading and following the guidelines of firmware instructions.
- Set the protocol, username, and password for your VPN. Note them somewhere where you can remember.
- If you selected OpenVPN as your VPN Protocol, then you’ll need to install software for it on the device from which you’ll want to use the VPN.
- Type in the username and password and you’re all set!
How to Make Your Own VPN Server using a DD-WRT Router?
To connect to your VPN server by the DD-WRT feature of your router, you have to make sure that your DD-WRT build has the PPTP VPN functionality. If the PPTP feature is missing, then you’ll have to possibly flash your router with a DD-WRT build having the PPTP VPN feature.
- Go to your DD-WRT Configuration Page and head to Services.
- You will find the PPTP Server, if it is disabled, enable it.
- When you will enable the PPTP Server, you will unlock more options to set some parameters to your VPN.
- Fill the field of Server IP with the Public IP Address of your Router.
- For Client IP(s), fill the field with the IP Addresses of the clients who will have the access to connect to your VPN.
- CHAP-Secrets is used for the username and password while setting up the connection on your system. The username and password are both defined in a single line. Star symbols and spaces are there to separate them from each other.
- After filling the necessary field, save and apply the changes.
- After finishing up the DD-WRT configuration page settings, go to Control Panel. (This is an example executed on Windows 7 Platform)
- Go to Network and Sharing Center -> Set up a new connection or network -> Connect to a workplace -> Create a new connection -> Use my Internet Connection (VPN).
- You will be displayed a tab with fields to be filled. Fill in the field of Internet Address with the IP Address (Server IP in the Configuration Page of DD-WRT). Give your VPN a name by filling in Destination Name.
- Next, you’ll have to fill in the username and password which were saved in the CHAP-Secrets field of the DD-WRT Configuration Page. Connect.
- If you want to verify it, type ‘ipconfig’ in your command prompt.
How to Make Your Own VPN with Windows 10 built-in VPN Feature?
If you want to go for an easy and smooth option, you can make your own dedicated server by using Windows 10 built-in VPN feature. But it will work only if your PC is on. Once you turn off your PC, you won’t be able to use your dedicated VPN server. You can also set up your VPN on different devices by this method.
- You have to create a VPN profile first by heading to your Settings. Go to Network and find VPN.
- Add a VPN Connection.
- Select your VPN provider as Windows (built-in).
- In Connection Name, type a name to which you can find and connect from the list of connections.
- Type in your Server name or address.
- Select a VPN Protocol by choosing the drop-down menu of VPN type.
- Choose a sign-in info type (username and password, smartcard, certificate, or one-time password).
- If chosen username and password, type the username and password and click save.
- To connect to your VPN, click your Network icon and find your VPN connection name.
- Fill in your username and password if required and connect.
Why Make Your Own VPN?
With so much variety of VPN providers, including market giants like NordVPN and Surfshark, one must wonder, why we are suggesting that you have your own VPN server. With your own VPN, your reach might be limited, but actually, there are a lot of advantages that come with it. They are,
No Third-Party Interference
When you subscribe to a VPN and use their servers to do all your work, you’re actually passing your traffic from their network. After all, it is a third-party service that you are using. Even if no one can see your traffic, they can. They can do whatever they wish with your personal traffic data. In this case, be careful to choose a VPN provider (Like ExpressVPN) which has legit policies about user logs.
Making your own VPN server might eliminate those monthly plans or yearly plan dollars getting deducted from your account. Having your own VPN server is cheap if you go for setting up your VPN by Cloud methods, some providers even offer servers for free. Other than that, a router with VPN capabilities can decline the graph of your cost to almost zilch!
Access Your Home Network Anytime
Another reason if you make your own VPN using a router is you can always have access to your digital hardware at your home while you are away having a vacation or in a business meeting.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Is it illegal to have your own VPN?
How much does a VPN cost?
Is OpenVPN free?
Can you trust a VPN?