Roku is an entertainment center that allows you to watch movies, play games, and listen to music. It covers major streaming platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Max, and many more.
However, not all streaming services are available everywhere in the world. For suppose HBO Max is only available in certain US territories and Latin America.
And to make it work in your region, you’ll need to install a VPN on Roku to enjoy streaming your favorite movies.
In this guide, we’ll tell you how to install a VPN on Roku so you can bypass all the geo-restrictions that are stopping you from watching your favorite movie or TV show on a streaming platform.
Moreover, you can have access to libraries of different countries so you can stream the geo-restricted content anytime if you can’t find a movie or a TV show in your own region.
So let’s not waste more of our time and check out how we can install a VPN on Roku.
How to Install a VPN On Roku?
While there is no direct way of installing a VPN on Roku, you can still use a VPN on your Roku device in various ways. You can install a VPN on your router, you can share a VPN connection over Wi-Fi with your Windows or Mac device, and also, if your VPN provider offers Smart DNS, you can use that on Roku.
1. Installing a VPN On Router
First, get a VPN subscription from a reliable VPN provider. then you’ll be needing a router that has VPN capabilities. And once you install a VPN on your router, you need to connect Roku to your router’s Wi-Fi network.
But if you don’t have a router that has VPN capabilities, you’ll need to flash your router with the right firmware. Basically what you’re doing is changing your router’s operating system to enable the VPN feature.
However, flashing is a risky process so you need to carefully carry out the activity. There are no chances for blunders as messing up can result in damaging your router.
2. Sharing a VPN Connection Over Wi-Fi
You can’t set up a VPN directly on Roku but you can connect your Roku to a device that has a VPN connection. That device can be a laptop and you can connect your Roku device to the Wi-Fi hotspot being shared by the laptop.
For Windows 10
- Go to the Settings and then head to Network & Internet.
- Click on Mobile Hotspot and enable it by clicking on the toggle button.
- Go to the Settings again and then head to Network & Internet.
- Click on Change Adapter Settings under Advanced Network Settings on right.
- Now find your VPN provider and right-click on it.
- Click on Properties and head to the Sharing tab.
- Check the box that says “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection“.
- You’ll see your created hotspot as Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter in the drop-down menu.
- Go to the System Preferences and head to Sharing.
- Go to Internet Sharing.
- Click on the drop-down menu and choose the VPN connection.
- Check the box that says “To computers using“.
- Head to Wi-Fi Options and set up a wi-fi password.
- Now click on Enable in Internet Sharing.
- Connect your Mac to a VPN and connect your Roku to the Wi-Fi hotspot.
3. Smart DNS On Roku
Smart DNS directs part of your traffic and uses the Domain Name Servers to unblock geo-restricted content. It is the perfect feature when you just want a VPN to stream movies and TV shows without affecting anything else.
- Go to your router’s admin panel and head to the DNS settings.
- Head to your VPN provider’s setup page and obtain two DNS servers of the locations you want.
- Enter the two addresses in the correct field and apply the settings.
Why Install a VPN On Roku?
Roku allows you to watch media on uncountable streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Max. However, you will not find every content that you want to watch on Roku and that’s where a VPN comes into action.
- You can have access to Netflix America as it has a wide range of TV shows and movies that are not available in other regions.
- You can beat the dynamic pricing of streaming platforms by changing your region and paying less according to that region’s plan.
- You can your region to access content available only in specific regions.
How to Choose a VPN For Roku?
Getting a VPN for Roku can get easier if you’re certain about the qualities you want in your VPN. Following are some of the factors you should consider before signing up for a VPN provider.
Should I Use a Free VPN On Roku?
No matter how beneficial it would look to use a free VPN instead of a paid one, it is not a good idea to use one.
Free VPNs have to earn too. So how are they earning when they’re not even charging you anything? That’s because you’re not paying them with your money, but data.
When you use a free VPN, you permit them to access your private data and it keeps logs of that data. Then your data is sold to the concerned parties and that’s how you are targeted by ads.
Using a free VPN is also not worth it as many free VPNs only allow the use of their services for a limited amount of time and also, most of the features are locked or restricted.
Instead, use a reliable paid VPN that has a strict no-logs policy so your private data is secure and you remain anonymous on the web.
Roku Alternatives for Streaming
Roku is an amazing option for streaming but as it doesn’t have built-in capabilities for installing a VPN connection, you can try some other alternatives for streaming content. Some of them are.
Amazon Firestick. Amazon Firestick works smoothly for all streaming services including Netflix and HBO Max. It can be a great alternative for Roku. And you can also install a VPN on Firestick to enjoy geo-restricted content.
Chromecast. Google Chromecast is another option for streaming your favorite movies on your TV screen easily. It has a user-friendly interface and works great with all streaming platforms.
Kodi. Kodi is an entertainment unit for all kinds of activities including movies, music, TV shows, and games. You can watch your favorite channels easily by adding custom add-ons. And if you want to install a VPN on Kodi, check out our detailed guide: How to Install a VPN On Kodi.
Best VPNs For Roku
Not all VPNs are a good match for your Roku device. So we’ve compiled a list of some of the reliable names of the VPN industry.
ExpressVPN is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands. It has a dedicated app for routers so you can easily install a VPN on your router. Not only this, but it also has a MediaStreamer tool just for streaming platforms.
NordVPN is a Panama-based VPN company. It offers a Smart DNS feature just to make your streaming experience magical. It can be easily set up on your router and it works great for Roku.
Surfshark is also headquartered in the British Virgin Islands and is one of the new players in the VPN industry. But that hasn’t come in the way of Surfshark climbing up to being one of the top 5 VPNs of all time. Surfshark also has a Smart DNS tool and it tested to work on streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Can I use a VPN on Roku?
How much a VPN costs?
Is it illegal to use a VPN on Roku?
Does ExpressVPN work with Roku?
How can a VPN help me to stream geo-restricted content?