Amazon Firestick or Fire TV can be a great purchase if you enjoy streaming movies and shows on popular streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, or BBC IPlayer.
It works smoothly and you can also use other services (music or gaming) to make sure your weekend party with friends can be a bang.
But geo-restrictions can put a damper on all the excitement if you’re in a country where your favorite movie is unavailable by the streaming platform.
This is why you should know how to install a VPN on Firestick and Fire TV to make sure your traffic is invisible to your internet service provider and you can easily unlock catalogs of streaming platforms to enjoy the movie nights on weekends.
Short on time? Here’s a Short Summary Of How to Install A VPN On Firestick
- If your VPN provider is listed in the Firestick app store then directly download it through there, install it and connect to a VPN server.
- You can install a VPN on your Firestick using the APK file if it’s not available on the Firestick app store.
- Get a VPN router or flash your router to make your own VPN server that automatically routes your Firestick traffic and all other connected devices through a VPN.
How to Install A VPN On Firestick & Fire TV?
You can install a VPN on Firestick in three ways.
- Install a VPN directly through the Firestick app store.
- Download your VPN’s APK file and install the VPN on your Firestick.
- Install a VPN on your router if it has VPN capabilities.
Now the easiest and most effective way would be to go for the first method and install a VPN directly on your Firestick to stream geo-restricted movies.
But if your VPN provider is not available on Firestick’s app store then you won’t be able to go with that option. For the first method to work, you need to be sure and get a VPN subscription from a provider which is available on the Firestick app store.
In case you already have a VPN but the VPN app is not available on the Firestick app store then you can just download the APK file and you’re good to go.
If you’re using an older generation Firestick then the first two options might not work. For that, go with the third option and set up a VPN server on your router. Just make sure your router has VPN capabilities to host your own server.
1. Install Directly Through App Store
This method will work if your VPN provider’s app is available on the Firestick app store.
- Look out for the Search option on your Firestick device and enter the name of your VPN provider. (We recommend NordVPN)
- If the VPN provider’s app appears, download it. If not, go with the second method.
- Install the app and press Open to launch your VPN.
- Sign in with your VPN account.
- Select a VPN server and connect to it.
- You can now watch your favorite show which was geo-restricted before.
2. Install Your VPN’s APK File
If your VPN is not available on Firestick’s app store then download the APK file and install it on your device.
- Enter “Downloader” in the search bar of your Firestick or Fire TV.
- Press on Download to get the downloader app.
- Launch the app by pressing Open.
- In your Downloader app, paste the direct download link for your VPN’s APK file. (You’ll find it on the Android Page of your VPN provider’s website)
- Download your VPN’s APK file and carry on with the installing process.
- If the installation process doesn’t start, go to the Downloads Section of the Downloader app and press the recently downloaded APK file.
- And you probably won’t see the VPN app in the menu as it was downloaded through a third-party app (Downloader). Instead, you’ll find it in the Settings.
- Head to the Settings and then to Applications.
- Press Manage Installed Applications and then find your VPN app.
- Launch the app and log in with your VPN account.
- Select a location and connect to the VPN server.
3. Install A VPN On Router
If both the options are unavailable to you because of any reason then you can simply set up a VPN on the router and host your own VPN server. You’ll still need a VPN subscription and most of the reliable providers are compatible with routers.
But you need to make sure that your router has VPN functionality. And if not, check if it supports any third-party firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato that can unlock the VPN feature. If yes, then flash your router. But you need to be careful as flashing your router might be risky.
For the step-by-step process, read our detailed guide: How to Install A VPN On A Router.
At last, if you can’t go with the first two methods, you don’t have a VPN router, and you don’t want to flash your router then you can just make a virtual router by creating your own Wi-Fi hotspot from a laptop or any other device that has the ability.
What Is Firestick & Fire TV?
Amazon Fire TV is a streaming device that lets you watch movies and TV shows on popular streaming platforms like Netflix, BBC IPlayer, HBO Max, or Hulu.
Not only that, you can listen to music, play games or videos too.
You can plug in the device on your TV via the HDMI Port and control the display with the Alexa Voice Control Remote which comes with it.
Now aside from the difference in cost, Fire TV and Firestick are almost the same with some minor fluctuations in features.
Fire TV is box-shaped and it has 4K Ultra HD and HDR features. It also has more content and it works faster. You can either use an ethernet cable or a Wi-Fi network on it.
Firestick on the other hand is cheaper than Fire TV and can be considered a lite version of it. It looks like a USB Flash Drive, hence the name Stick and you connect it through the Wi-Fi network only.
Both are good streaming devices but it depends on your need while choosing between the two. If you have a TV set that supports high-resolution video quality then Fire TV would be a good choice. But if you want a portable device that you can carry anywhere easily, then go for Firestick instead.
How to Choose A VPN For Firestick or Fire TV?
Although the first thing to focus on while signing up for a VPN is to check if it’s compatible with Firestick or Fire TV. But there are some other factors which require your attention.
- Unlocks popular streaming platforms. Doesn’t matter if the VPN works okay on your Firestick device. If it cannot unlock streaming platforms like Netflix, HBO Max, Hulu, or Prime Video, it’s not a good purchase. To avoid this, sign up for VPNs that offer a free trial or a 30-day money-back guarantee so you test it yourself and be firm while making the purchase.
- Maximized security. Most reliable VPN providers offer military-grade encryption methods. Sign up for a VPN that has AES-256 and offers the latest protocols. Or simply check if it has the OpenVPN protocol as it is one of the reliable ones.
- Reasonable pricing. A reliable and trusted VPN service that can unlock popular streaming platforms, has a strict no-log policy and offers a kill switch button in case the VPN connection drops can cost you around $12 to $13. And if you’re sure about the VPN company then you can sign yourself up for a longer-term plan to save some bucks. For more information, check out our detailed article: How Much Does A VPN Cost.
- Decent speed. No one likes a buffering screen staring at their face while watching a movie with focus mode on. And because with a VPN, your traffic hops before reaching the actual destination, your VPN should be flashy enough to not ruin your movie night with friends.
- Smart DNS for a magical streaming experience. ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer or NordVPN’s Smart DNS are special features for an amazing streaming experience. It’s a great feature if you just want to change your Netflix region without encrypting your traffic.
How to Use A Mouse On Firestick?
It can be frustrating navigating through the menu or typing something with the Firestick remote. So, to ease our pain and most importantly, yours, we figured out how we can install the Mouse Toggle app for Firestick.
Download & Install the APK File
- We will need the Downloader app which we installed earlier. So if you still don’t have it, install it by typing the name in the search bar.
- Go to your Firestick’s Settings.
- Head to My Fire TV.
- Press Developer Options.
- Press Install Unknows Apps and make sure ADB Debugging is ON.
- Turn on the option for the Downloader app so your Firestick can install third-party apps.
- Launch the Downloader app.
- You’ll see a URL field under the Home tab.
- Now enter the following link to download the APK file for Mouse Toggle.
- If you have a Firestick Generation 1 or 2, Fire TV 1 or 2, or a Fire TV Cube, use this link.
- For Firestick 4k & Firestick Lite,
- Press GO and the Downloader app will start downloading the APK file.
- When the download is completed, install the APK file on your Firestick.
Accessing and Using the Mouse Toggle App
As recently installed apps do not appear on your Firestick’s Menu screen, you need to follow these steps to access the file.
- On the Firestick Menu screen, head to Apps.
- Scroll down and you’ll see the Mouse Toggle App.
- Launch the app.
- Switch the toggle button ON for “Enable the mouse service” and “Autostart the mouse service on device start-up”. (The status at the bottom left corner should say: started)
- Your mouse is now enabled. To test it, just launch any streaming platform and press the Play/Pause button on your Firestick remote two times and that’s it.
Why Should You Use A VPN On Firestick?
The first and foremost reason to use a VPN is to hide your online identity on the open web. Your IP address is your digital identity and once that is compromised then you’ll get exposed to every possible malicious practice there is.
What a VPN does is simply encrypt your internet traffic by passing it through a secure tunnel. By this, it eliminates third parties from interfering, which means hackers or eavesdroppers cannot attack you, and also, you’ll be immune to ransomware or phishing attempts.
Another reason is to unlock the international catalog of your favorite streaming platform. You might have a subscription to a streaming service but you wouldn’t be able to watch movies or shows that are geo-restricted to your region.
That’s because producers and streaming platforms have agreements to restrict their content in limited regions to cover up their investments in a systematic way.
And this is where a VPN pays off. By geo-spoofing your location, you can easily watch movies or TV shows that are available on the streaming platform but are geo-restricted to your region.
Best VPNs For Firestick
ExpressVPN is one of the trusted providers ranked in the top 10 VPNs. It even offers a MediaStreamer feature so you can have a magical streaming experience without encountering a buffering screen. It has a built-in kill switch, offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, and has a strict no-logs policy.
NordVPN with its fleet of more than 5000 server locations can offer you the best streaming experience. It works great on Firestick, Fire TV, and all other Amazon devices.
The most amazing thing is that you can get a dedicated IP by paying a little more. This can come in handy if you don’t want a server to get banned from your favorite streaming platform because of someone else using it carelessly.
Surfshark has an amazing user-friendly interface that lets you navigate easily through the features. It’s the best choice for a VPN if you want to cover unlimited devices of your household as there are no limits on simultaneous connections. It works great on Amazon devices and unlocks catalogs of major streaming platforms.
Check out detailed guides on:
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Can I use a free VPN on Firestick?
How much a reliable VPN costs?
Which VPN service should I get for accessing multiple streaming platforms?
Can I use a mouse on my Firestick or Fire TV device?
What is the difference between Firestick and Fire TV?
Wrapping it up!
Now you should know how to install a VPN on Firestick and the key factors you should look after before signing up for a VPN, especially for your Firestick or Fire TV devices. Just choose a VPN that has compatibility for the device and is proved to be effective on popular streaming platforms. But if you’re stuck with a VPN that’s not available on the Firestick app store, go with the alternative methods to make it work.