To enjoy the perks of geo-restricted internet browsing, you must know how to use a VPN. You can use a VPN easily by just downloading it to your device, setting up your plan, log in with your credentials, and connect to a location you want to.
In this era of modern technology, where everything is done via digital channels. With the exchange of information on the internet, the factor of security also comes into the picture. To make sure the security is not compromised while browsing the internet, VPNs are useful. How VPN works actually, it creates a secure bridge between a user and a VPN source. This bridge is secure enough that it would not allow eavesdroppers to interfere with user business.
How to Use a VPN?
Using a VPN is easy as pie. All you need to do is download a VPN app, install it on your device. Set your VPN according to your device’s operating system settings, connect it to a location you prefer, and voila! You can now access your favorite content easily. You can know more about how to use a VPN in Windows, iOS, Android, or macOS following this guide.
One of the major benefits of using a VPN is that your data, including both search history and downloads, are sent through an encrypted server. A VPN creates an encrypted connection between your device and the server, which means neither your ISP nor other people on the same Wi-Fi network can monitor what you are doing.
VPNs can be used to securely access networks that would be unreachable when connecting with your regular Internet Service Provider, such as a workplace or school network. To know how to use a VPN on almost any device, you need to follow these steps…
1. Decide on a VPN Service and Plan
The first thing you have to decide is whether you need a paid VPN service or a free VPN service. There are many options for both.
If you don’t want to pay for a VPN service, free VPNs are easy to find. However, not only do some compromise your privacy with ads and logs of activities, but they also have limits on how much data you can use each month and what devices it is available on. But nonetheless, a free VPN service is the best option for you if you use a VPN very rarely.
On the other hand, if you are searching for a solution that protects your internet activity, gives plenty of data quickly without throttling, and is more reliable, get a well-reviewed paid service. The best VPNs ranking on top in terms of strong encryption and blazing speed are Surfshark and NordVPN. Their plans for a one-month subscription costs $12.95 and $11.95 respectively, which are worthy if you are an A-Class VPN user.
2. Do Some Deep-Digging
To stay safe and secure on the internet, you need a VPN service with great online privacy and security. And that is only possible when you get to know the full picture. You will need user experience data, reviews from various blogs, reviews from VPN testers. In short, you have to find everything you can for your intended VPN provider on the internet.
One more thing to take care of is that your VPN provider should work with transparency. VPNs that collect the log activity of the users are not recommended as it is a breach of privacy.
To make sure that your activity is not monitored, you should choose an authentic provider. ExpressVPN is a major player which doesn’t keep track of customer data. It can be proved by the fact that on carrying out a raid, Turkish authorities could not find anything which could lead to press charges to ExpressVPN for keeping user logs.
3. Signing-up Process
After making the firm decision of choosing a VPN provider, it is time to sign-up for an account. You need to sign-up by filling in your details and making the required payment (if using paid VPN service). You will probably set a username and a password for your VPN Service. Once you are done with the sign-up process, you can now easily download the VPN software on your preferable device.
4. Launching Your VPN
Once downloaded and installed, it is time to start up your VPN. Launch VPN software by tapping or clicking on the app (On your PC or Smartphone). You will find a pop-up window on your screen with empty fields required to be filled by you. Fill in the fields of username and password with your credentials to log in and start using the VPN Service.
5. Set a Location
You can connect to any location and start browsing the internet by setting that as your current location. If you are from Australia and want to connect to American Netflix then you just have to set your location to America. You can now access all your favorite Movies and TV Serials that you were not able to access before.
How to Use a VPN in Windows 10?
Windows users on Windows 10 can easily use the built-in VPN, setting it up by creating a profile. Here’s the step-by-step solution guide on how you can use a VPN in Windows 10 and change your geo-location easily,
Creating a VPN Profile
- To create your built-in VPN in Windows 10, go to Settings –> Network and select Virtual Private Networks. Under the list of connections, click on Add a connection.
- Configure the Windows VPN Profile
- Enter a name in the Connection Box so that it is easier to select when trying to connect with your VPN.
- Type the address of the VPN server in Server Address.
- To begin the setup process, you will need to select a VPN type from the drop-down menu.
- To properly configure Windows 10 for VPN, you need to choose a sign-in type (e.g., Network Logon) corresponding with the login credentials you used when signing in to the Windows VPN, and then save your settings.
Connecting to VPN
- Network icon is present on Windows 10 taskbar, click it.
- After selecting the connection, click on the connect button.
- If your VPN requires credentials, enter them and now you are connected.
How to Use a VPN in iOS?
Configuring a VPN on iOS is simple. Simply download the app from the App Store and the system should configure your settings automatically, but here are steps to set your VPN manually,
- Open the Settings app and navigate to the General tab.
- Open and go to VPN (If you are already connected to a VPN service, the device will indicate)
- To add a VPN, select Add VPN Configuration.
- Tap on the Type icon to select your desired VPN protocol.
- Fill in the information required for setting up your VPN, including a description of the profile, where it will connect to, and what kind of host server you want to use.
- Enable your VPN by clicking the Switch On button.
How to Use a VPN in Android?
Setting up a VPN in Android is not difficult, but users should take note that the settings are nested underneath different sections across various devices. To find what you need without scrolling through any menus, simply use the search bar located on your Android Settings page. Here’s how to use a VPN when using an Android device,
- Open Settings > select Connections.
- To get to VPN settings, select VPN from the options on your screen and you may see a list of already installed apps.
- Tap Add VPN Network to add a VPN.
- A window will appear with the fields needed to be filled in (Name, Type, Server), after entering all of these fields click Save.
- Head to the VPN screen, select a VPN name, and type in the password. Connect to your VPN.
How to Use a VPN in macOS?
In order to use a VPN in macOS, multiple apps can guide you through the overall setting up process but you can always go for the manual option.
- From System Preferences> Network, you can set your own VPN.
- In the networks window, click on the plus sign (+) to create a new profile.
- Click the drop-down menu and choose VPN.
- Create a VPN profile by filling in the tabs for VPN type and service name.
- Select the option to Create a profile. Fill in your server address, remote ID, and local ID with those provided by your VPN provider.
- You’ll need to enter the username and password for your VPN when prompted.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
What is a VPN and how do you use it?
How can I use a VPN for free?
Is VPN Worth Getting?
Are free VPNs safe?