A VPN or Virtual Private Network is the universal key to lots of locked doors on the internet. You can hide your online identity, stream geo-blocked movies, or geo-spoof your location with a single tap of a button.
It can maximize your security and eliminate the risks of you being prey to malicious practices on the web.
You can use it on public Wi-Fi and get rid of your data being hacked or access unrestricted content on the internet in no time.
But what is a VPN and how does it work? Well, a VPN simply creates an encrypted tunnel between you and the VPN server. All the traffic generated from your device travels through this tunnel, passes the VPN server, and then reaches the destination with total anonymity.
No one can track or monitor your traffic. Not even your internet service provider. But the first and foremost rule is to pick a reliable VPN provider which has a strict no-log policy.
In this guide, we will tell you how to install a VPN on any device. May it be your gaming console, your home router, your personal computer, handheld device, or your streaming device.
We will even tell you alternatives on how to install a VPN on devices that don’t have native VPN support.
So let’s start with your router. Because if you set up a VPN on your router then all the devices connected to that network are automatically secured. The traffic of all the connected devices would run through the VPN’s secure tunnel and there is no chance for attackers to hack into your system or steal your private information.
How to Install A VPN On Router?
Most routers do not have VPN capabilities. So before installing a VPN on your router, do a quick check and see if your router is capable of hosting a VPN.
- Check if your router supports VPN functionalities. Google it or check the router configurations and search for a VPN tab.
- If you know that your router has VPN capabilities but you still can’t find the VPN option then you need to flash your router.
- Install a third-party firmware (Tomato or DD-WRT)
- You’re simply changing the operating system of your router and enabling the VPN feature.
- Flashing your router may be risky if you get it wrong. So do your research properly first and then go for this option.
- If you don’t want to flash your router or if your router doesn’t have VPN functionalities at all then you have no option but to purchase a VPN router.
Setting Up A VPN On Router
- Log in to your router’s configuration page as an administrator. Find the IP from the bottom sticker or your router’s manual. The IP which works for most routers is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. Type this in your browser and log in with your username and password which are at the bottom sticker of your router.
- When logged in, search for the VPN tab. You may need to find it under different tabs. But if you still can’t find it but you know your router has VPN capabilities, then you need to flash your router.
- If you found the VPN tab, click on it and then set up a VPN client profile. Like the picture below indicates.
- Now go to your VPN provider’s website. Go to the Setup page and head to Manual Configuration. We are using ExpressVPN as an example.
- Now select a protocol of your choice. OpenVPN is best for maximizing your security and privacy while PPTP or L2TP/IPsec is best if you want higher speed for downloading, streaming, or gaming.
- Select a server from the available locations, copy the address and paste it in the profile field.
- Fill in the description also, paste the username and password from the VPN provider website and click on OK to create your VPN client profile.
- Now that your VPN profile is created, just click on Activate.
When activated, you are now connected to your router through a VPN connection and any device which is connected to your router will have a secure VPN connection.
To set up an OpenVPN profile, all the steps are the same. But instead of just copying the location address, you’ll need to download the .ovpn file from the website and upload it in the correct field while creating the VPN profile.
For further information, please visit our detailed guide on How to Install A VPN On A Router.
How to Install A VPN On Firestick?
You may need to change your Netflix region to enjoy geo-restricted shows. To install a VPN on your Firestick or Fire TV, all you need is to get a VPN subscription that has compatibility for FireTV and Firestick devices.
Follow the steps to set up a VPN on your Amazon Firestick.
- On your home screen, go to Apps and head to Categories. Now select Utility.
- Search for your VPN provider and launch the VPN app. (Download the app if you don’t have it)
- Select login. Enter your username and password to sign in to your VPN account.
- Now either select Connect for the default fastest server or choose a location you prefer.
- You are now connected to a VPN server, minimize the app and start watching your favorite movie.
For further information, please visit our detailed guide on How to Install A VPN On Firestick.
How to Install A VPN On Kodi?
Kodi is used for music, games, TV channels, and streaming movies. The easiest way to use VPN on Kodi is by installing the VPN app and here’s how you can do it.
- Get a VPN subscription to a reliable VPN service.
- Download the VPN app on your device.
- Install the VPN app and launch it.
- Sign in with your VPN account.
- Pick a server location of your choice and connect to the VPN.
- Launch Kodi and enjoy.
For further information, please visit our detailed guide on How to Install A VPN On Kodi.
How to Install A VPN On iPhone?
You should have a VPN subscription to install a VPN on your iOS device. A monthly plan of a VPN costs between $11 to $14 if you’re signing up for a reliable VPN provider. And you can even save up more if you sign up for longer-term plans.
Follow the steps to manually configure a VPN on your iPhone.
- On your home screen, go to the Settings and then tap on General.
- Find VPN under the General tab and tap on it.
- Tap on Add VPN Configuration.
- To select a VPN protocol, tap on Type and choose IKEv2, L2TP, or IPsec.
- Fill in the following fields including Description (VPN Name), Server, Remote ID, and Local ID (All three are provided by your VPN provider).
- Choose a User Authentication type. Either a username and password or a certificate.
- Tap on Done.
- Go back to the VPN tab, find your VPN profile, and connect to it.
For further information, please visit our detailed guide on How to Install A VPN On iPhone.
How to Install A VPN On Mac?
You can easily change your location on your Mac device by manually configuring a VPN. You need a third-party VPN subscription. Choose a reliable VPN provider that offers the latest protocols, has a strict no-log policy, and is compatible with Mac.
Follow the steps to set up a VPN on Mac.
- Click on the Apple icon present in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Go to System Preferences and then click on Network.
- Click the plus (+) icon on the left to create a connection.
- Now select VPN as the Interface.
- Select a VPN type by clicking on the drop-down menu.
- Type in your VPN name in the Service Name.
- Click on Create.
- Now fill in the Server Address and Account Name or username which are provided by your VPN provider.
- Click on Authentication Settings.
- Fill in the Password and Shared Secret.
- Click OK.
- Click on Apply and then click on Connect.
That’s it. You are now connected to a VPN.
For further information, please visit our detailed guide on How to Install A VPN On Mac.
How to Install A VPN On Roku?
You cannot just install a VPN on your Roku device to stream Netflix or any other platform. Roku doesn’t support native VPN apps.
But, we have other alternatives for you.
- You can simply set up a VPN on your router and connect your Roku device to your router to watch the geo-restricted movies and TV shows on streaming platforms. Head to the first section of this article to know how you can install a VPN on your router.
- If you don’t want to install a VPN on your router then create a virtual router. Simply set up a VPN on your Windows, Mac, Android, or iOS, turn on the Hotspot, and connect your Roku device.
For further information, please visit our detailed guide on How to Install A VPN On Roku.
How to Install A VPN On Chromebook?
You can install a VPN for your Chromebook in an easy way.
Simply use a VPN extension through your chrome browser. But make sure your VPN provider offers a Google Chrome browser extension.
Follow the steps to install a VPN on your browser.
- Launch your Google Chrome browser.
- Go to the Chrome Web Store.
- Type the name of your VPN in the search bar.
- Click on ‘Add to Chrome‘
- Now click on Extensions and find your VPN extension.
- Log in with your account if required and connect to a VPN server.
For further information, please visit our detailed guide on How to Install A VPN On Chromebook.
How to Install A VPN For School Wi-Fi?
School wi-fi networks don’t offer access to everything on the internet and you can only perform limited operations with a regular internet connection. But with a VPN, you can bypass restrictions and have unlimited access to everything without risking your original identity.
To install a VPN for your school wi-fi, follow the steps.
- You should have a subscription plan from a reliable VPN company. You can go for ExpressVPN or NordVPN as they’re one of the big players in the VPN industry.
- Sign up for a plan.
- Download the VPN app on your phone. Remember that you need to perform all of this on your home network as your school’s wifi network might’ve blocked all the VPN websites.
- Launch the VPN app and log in with your VPN account.
- Now whenever you connect to the school wi-fi, simply launch your VPN app and connect to a VPN server.
- You can now easily have access to blocked websites.
For further information, please visit our detailed guide on How to Install A VPN For School Wi-Fi.
How to Install A VPN On Xbox or PS4?
As Xbox or Playstation do not support native VPNs so we’ll need a Windows PC and a spare ethernet cable to create a VPN connection. But other than that, you can always make your own VPN server and connect your Xbox to it.
Follow the steps to install a VPN on your Xbox or PS4 Console.
- Sign up for a VPN plan.
- Download the VPN app on your Windows PC.
- Now plug one end of the internet cable on your Xbox or PS4. (Find the ethernet port at the back)
- Plug the other end of the ethernet into your PC.
- On your Windows PC, go to the Control Panel and head to Network & Sharing Center.
- Click on Change Adapter Settings.
- Find the correct VPN title and right-click on it to go to the Properties.
- Select the Sharing tab.
- Select and tick the “Allow other network users” option.
- Select Ethernet by clicking on the drop-down menu “Home networking connection”
- Click OK.
Now check your VPN by accessing geo-blocked games. If you can, then your VPN works fine.
For further information, please visit our detailed guide on How to Install A VPN On Xbox or PS4.
How to Install A VPN On A Smart TV?
Watching your favorite show on a big screen can be an amazing experience. But some geo-restrictions can ruin the fun.
That’s why it’s important to know how to use a VPN on Netflix or any other streaming platform so you don’t miss your favorite TV series.
Smart TVs often have Android operating systems, which makes it super easy to install a VPN connection on your TV. It’s like setting up a VPN on your phone.
Follow the steps to install a VPN on your Smart TV.
- Sign up for a reliable VPN. You can go for ExpressVPN or Surfshark.
- Turn on your smart TV and go to the Google Play Store.
- Search for the VPN app and download it.
- After installing, launch the VPN app.
- Log in with your VPN account.
- Select a location from the available servers.
- Launch Netflix and enjoy your movie.
For further information, please visit our detailed guide on how to Install A VPN On A Smart TV.
Best VPN Providers
To know more about ExpressVPN, check out How Does ExpressVPN Work.
You can also check out our complete NordVPN review.
Read more in detail on how Surfshark works.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Is it illegal to use a VPN?
How much a VPN service can cost for a monthly plan?
What does a VPN kill switch do?
When do I need a VPN connection?
Which VPN is good for streaming Netflix?
Is a free VPN good for streaming?