To make sure that you can access the geo-restricted content on the internet and surf safely, you must know how to create a VPN connection. What can a VPN do? It makes sure you are totally secure in a bubble by creating a private network to keep you away from hackers and eavesdroppers.
A VPN connection is created easily by subscribing to a VPN service. You just have to Sign up for a VPN plan. Average VPN plans are as cheap as 10$ a month, and it has more discounts when choosing a longer-term plan.
After Signing up for a plan, download and install the VPN software on your phone, tablet, or desktop. Sign in with your credentials, and easily connect to the server by setting a location. Although, this is only one way to connect to a VPN server. To know more about manual ways to set up a VPN, follow this guide.
How to Create a VPN?
VPNs are useful to make sure you are browsing and accessing content on the internet securely. You can create a VPN connection, but it has two dimensions to it. Whether you want to go for a Quick Connect way of connecting to a VPN, or you want manually create a VPN connection on your device.
You can set up a VPN connection on Windows, iOS, Android, and macOS by following a step-by-step process. Moreover, it is possible to create your own VPN server by different methods. Follow this guide to get more insights on how can you do that with a snap of a finger.
How to Create a VPN Connection with Quick Connect?
Most providers have a quick connect feature when setting up. You should use this if you’re in a hurry or don’t care which server the VPN connects to. Once that option is selected, allow it time to load on your device and you will be connected with the best server available at the time of installation.
Choosing a server is dependent on your objective. If you plan to access the content at an internationally convenient speed, use the “Quick Connect” VPN option. However, if you are looking to circumvent government censorship, select the country’s server that contradicts your geographical region.
How to Create a VPN Connection Manually?
Of course, you could always manually set up a VPN at home as well. This offers more specific customization than the office’s automatic connection feature. The actual steps to take will be dependent on which device you are using; so you’ll be needing some guide to follow setting up your VPN in a manual fashion.
How to Create a VPN Connection on Windows 10?
After being released on July 29, 2015, Windows 10 offers a built-in VPN service to users. Creating a VPN profile is easy and can be done with these steps.
How to Create a VPN Profile on Windows 10?
- Navigate to Settings in your Windows 10, from Control Panel, or simply search it.
- Go to Network and Internet-> Select VPN -> Add a VPN Connection.
- You will need to fill in the VPN Information, choose Windows as the VPN Provider.
- Enter a Connection Name, it can be anything which is easy for you to remember.
- Enter your IP Address for the VPN in the field of Server Name.
- In the field of VPN Type, enter the VPN Type which you prefer. If you are not sure about a VPN Type, simply select Automatic.
- Select your option of Type of Sign-in Info. This means a method which you’ll be using to sign in to your VPN service, it can either be a username and password, a certificate, or a smartcard. Click on Save.
How to Connect to the VPN?
- Navigate the network icon which is present in the far right corner at the bottom.
- Enter the username and password if required, and connect!
How to Create a VPN Connection on Windows 7?
If you are still using the older version of Windows, here is how you can create a VPN connection in Windows 7.
- Navigate the start button on the left corner at the bottom.
- In the search bar, VPN-> Set up a VPN
- Type the IP Address.
- Type username and password as your credentials.
- Click on connect!
- Navigate the network logo on the right corner at the bottom, click on it, and connect to your VPN Connection.
How to Create a VPN Connection on iOS?
There are two ways you can connect to a VPN in iOS, one is the basic way which is called Quick-Connect. The other way is to create your own VPN by manually setting up a VPN profile. Both ways are explained below,
How to Create a VPN Connection with Quick Connect on iOS?
- You first need to download your preferred VPN service from App Store and Install it on your device.
- Launch the VPN app.
- Sign up for a plan and then sign in with your credentials.
- Tap on the Quick-Connect option and the VPN will automatically connect you to a default server.
How to Create a VPN Connection Manually on iOS?
- Go to your Settings-> Tap on General.
- Find VPN in the General tab and tap on Add VPN Configuration.
- Select a VPN Type and select a preferred protocol.
- After adding VPN Configuration, type in the details like description (name of the VPN), server, remote ID.
- Click on Done after filling in all the necessary details.
- To make sure you are connected to your VPN, go to Settings and find the General tab, find VPN, and turn it on.
How to Create a VPN Connection on macOS?
- Navigate to System Preferences from the Apple icon in the left corner at the top.
- Select Network from the Drop Down Menu.
- Add Button by clicking on the plus (+) sign on the left at the bottom.
- Select VPN-> Go to VPN Type.
- Fill in the required field named as Service Name and Create it.
- Fill in Account Name and Server Address.
- Follow directions for Authentication Settings, and enter the security information provided by the network administrator.
- Apply the changes and click Connect!
How to Create a VPN Connection on Android?
- Navigate Settings in your Android Device, go to More Connections, and tap on VPN.
- There will be a plus (+) sign visible with “Add VPN Network“, tap on it.
- Fill in the required fields of Name, Type, Server, and save it.
- Your VPN profile is created.
- Coming back to the previous screen, tap on the profile you created.
- Type in the username and password provided to you by the VPN provider.
- Tap Connect!
How to Create a VPN Server At Your Home?
It is not hard to create a VPN server at your home on your personal computer. By these following ideas, you can easily have your own dedicated VPN,
By a Router having VPN features,
You can buy off-the-rack VPN solutions that are preinstalled on network routers. Many higher-end wireless routers come with a built-in VPN server, but it is necessary to conduct handsome research on it and make yourself sure that it supports the type of connections you need for your devices if you want to connect them wirelessly with the technology.
By a Router that Supports DD-WRT,
Having a router that supports DD-WRT enables you to easily host a VPN server on the routers which does not have VPN functionality. The DD-WRT or similar routers have built-in support for VPN servers.
By Your Home PC,
You can create your own dedicated VPN server at your home, on your personal PC if you decide to run it all the time. Apple computers and Windows-based machines can host a VPN server.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Is creating a VPN illegal?
Can I use a VPN at home?
How much would it cost to have your own VPN?
Are free VPNs safe?