A Virtual Private Network (VPN) hides your internet identity by shielding your original IP address and assigning a different one. It makes sure you are not an easy target for hackers and eavesdroppers on the web.
It will keep you safe on your home network or any public wi-fi network by providing you with an encrypted connection to secure your sensitive data on the web.
So in order to access the geo-restricted content on the internet and surf safely, you must know how to create a VPN connection.
To tell you how VPNs work, it simply creates a secure bridge between the user and the VPN server. Now any traffic generated from your side passes through that bridge, which geo-spoofs your location, and no other party can look at your traffic flow, even the internet service provider or government authorities are unable to do that.
A VPN connection is created easily by subscribing to a VPN service. You just have to Sign up for a VPN plan by going to the VPN service’s website. Average VPN plans are as cheap as 10$ a month, and it has more discounts when choosing a longer-term plan.
After Signing up for a plan, download and install the VPN software on your phone, tablet, or desktop. Sign in with your credentials, and easily connect to the VPN server by setting a location.
Although, this is only one way to connect to a VPN server. To know more about manual ways for VPN settings, follow this guide.
How to Create a VPN?
By using a VPN, you get secure access to your everyday browsing and geo-restricted content on the internet.
You can create a VPN connection in multiple ways, the first and easy way is to just get a VPN subscription from a top-tier VPN provider, install the VPN app on your device and connect to a VPN server in a snap of a finger.
The second way is to set up a VPN profile manually on your device and configure the settings according to your operating system, you will need a VPN account in this method.
The last and third way is to set up a VPN server on a router or just use a device to make your own dedicated VPN. From which all the devices connected to your server are protected and they don’t need individual configuration.
The first method is the widely used method since you’re just a button click away which works like a charm, but all the methods are briefly explained in this guide. So keep on reading to create your VPN connection in no time.
How to Create a VPN Connection with Quick Connect?
- Get a VPN by subscribing to a top-tier VPN provider. ExpressVPN is a good choice.
- Download and install the VPN client on your device. (VPN apps are also available on App Store or Google Play Store).
- Launch the VPN app and log in with your VPN account.
- On the dashboard, click the ‘Connect‘ or ‘Quick Connect‘ button.
This connects you to the nearest and fastest VPN server available at that moment for you to have the best VPN experience.
Choosing a server is dependent on your objective. If you plan to access the content at an internationally convenient speed, use the “Quick Connect” VPN option.
However, if you are looking to circumvent government censorship, select the country’s server that contradicts your geographical region.
How to Create a VPN Connection Manually?
Of course, a manual setup is also possible for a VPN. This offers more specific customization than the automatic connection feature.
The actual steps to take will be dependent on which device you are using; so you’ll be needing some guide to follow setting up your VPN in a manual fashion.
How to Create a VPN Connection on Windows 10?
After being released on July 29, 2015, Windows 10 offers a built-in VPN service to users. Creating a VPN profile is easy and can be done with these steps.
How to Create a VPN Profile on Windows 10?
- Navigate to Settings in your Windows 10, from Control Panel, or simply search it.
- Go to Network and Internet-> Select VPN -> Add a VPN Connection.
- You will need to fill in the VPN Information, choose Windows as the VPN Provider.
- Enter a Connection Name, it can be anything which is easy for you to remember.
- Enter your IP Address for the VPN in the field of Server Name.
- In the field of VPN Type, enter the VPN Type which you prefer. If you are not sure about a VPN Type, simply select Automatic.
- Select your option of Type of Sign-in Info. This means a method which you’ll be using to sign in to your VPN service, it can either be a username and password, a certificate, or a smartcard. Click on Save.
How to Connect to the VPN?
- Navigate the network icon which is present in the far right corner at the bottom.
- Enter the username and password if required, and connect!
How to Create a VPN Connection on Windows 7?
If you are still using the older version of Windows, here is how you can create a VPN connection in Windows 7.
- Navigate the start button on the left corner at the bottom.
- In the search bar, VPN-> Set up a VPN
- Type the IP Address.
- Type username and password as your credentials.
- Click on connect!
- Navigate the network logo on the right corner at the bottom, click on it, and connect to your VPN Connection.
How to Create a VPN Connection on iOS?
There are two ways you can connect to a VPN in iOS, one is the basic way which is called Quick-Connect. The other way is to create your own VPN by manually setting up a VPN profile. Both ways are explained below,
How to Create a VPN Connection with Quick Connect on iOS?
- You first need to download your preferred VPN service from App Store and Install it on your device.
- Launch the VPN app.
- Sign up for a plan and then sign in with your credentials.
- Tap on the Quick-Connect option and the VPN will automatically connect you to a default server.
How to Create a VPN Connection Manually on iOS?
- Go to your Settings-> Tap on General.
- Find VPN in the General tab and tap on Add VPN Configuration.
- Select a VPN Type and select a preferred protocol.
- After adding VPN Configuration, type in the details like description (name of the VPN), server, remote ID.
- Click on Done after filling in all the necessary details.
- To make sure you are connected to your VPN, go to Settings and find the General tab, find VPN, and turn it on.
How to Create a VPN Connection on macOS?
- Navigate to System Preferences from the Apple icon in the left corner at the top.
- Select Network from the Drop Down Menu.
- Add Button by clicking on the plus (+) sign on the left at the bottom.
- Select VPN-> Go to VPN Type.
- Fill in the required field named as Service Name and Create it.
- Fill in Account Name and Server Address.
- Follow directions for Authentication Settings, and enter the security information provided by the network administrator.
- Apply the changes and click Connect!
How to Create a VPN Connection on Android?
- Navigate Settings in your Android Device, go to More Connections, and tap on VPN.
- There will be a plus (+) sign visible with “Add VPN Network“, tap on it.
- Fill in the required fields of Name, Type, Server, and save it.
- Your VPN profile is created.
- Coming back to the previous screen, tap on the profile you created.
- Type in the username and password to log in to your VPN account.
- Tap Connect!
How to Create a VPN Server At Your Home?
It is not hard to create a VPN server at your home on your personal computer. By these following ideas, you can easily have your own dedicated VPN,
By a Router having VPN features,
You can buy off-the-rack VPN solutions that are preinstalled on network routers.
Many higher-end wireless routers come with a built-in VPN server, but it is necessary to conduct handsome research on it and make yourself sure that it supports the type of connections you need for your devices if you want to connect them wirelessly with the technology.
By a Router that Supports DD-WRT,
Having a router that supports DD-WRT enables you to easily host a VPN server on the routers which does not have VPN functionality. The DD-WRT or similar routers have built-in support for VPN servers.
By Your Home PC,
You can create your own dedicated VPN server at your home, on your personal PC if you decide to run it all the time. Apple computers and Windows-based machines can host a VPN server.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
What is the method of setting up a VPN?
Is creating a VPN illegal?
Can I use a VPN at home?
How much would it cost to have your own VPN?
Are free VPNs safe?