Netflix, being a company of large magnitude had set some ground rules, to have different libraries for each country they provide their service to. With this, users felt the need to access international libraries when they couldn’t find their favorite movies or TV shows in their country’s Netflix library.
This is how VPNs gained their popularity and there was an urge in people to know more about VPNs and make the most out of their VPN subscriptions. You can easily access the geo-restricted content on Netflix. But for that, you have to know how to change location with a VPN.
Netflix was founded in Scotts Valley, California in 1997. It worked as a DVD rental service in its early times. Customers would go to the Netflix website and book their DVDs, which would then be sent to the customers on their doorstep. Netflix gained high popularity after it started to provide streaming services to users in 2007. As in today, the Netflix library in size has over 15,000 titles combining all the libraries worldwide.
How to Change Netflix Region with VPN?
To change your Netflix region, first, you have to sign up for a plan for a trusted VPN service (We recommend ExpressVPN). Download and install it on your device and launch it. Select and set a country for which your Netflix content is available. Launch the Netflix app (you should have a Netflix subscription). You will now be able to access the geo-restricted shows on your Netflix easily! Grab some Nachos, sit back, relax, and enjoy your movie night!
How to Change Netflix Region with VPN On iPhone?
You can watch your favorite shows on Netflix on your iPhone easily with a VPN service, follow the instructions below,
- Navigate App Store on your iPhone and get a trusted VPN service. Download, and then install it.
- Enter the credentials provided to you by the VPN provider.
- Select and set a country of your preference where your favorite content is available.
- Launch your Netflix app and start streaming.
With his method, you can automatically connect to your VPN and access Netflix in no time! But if you want, you can go for a manual approach to set up your own VPN on any device.
How to Change Netflix Region with VPN On Android?
Enjoy your favorite shows by setting up your VPN on your Android device by these steps,
- Find Google Play Store on your Android device and search for a trusted VPN service (ExpressVPN is a trusted provider)
- Download and install (you should have a plan for the VPN service).
- Launch the VPN app, set your VPN location to a location where the content you want is available.
- Minimize VPN app and launch Netflix app. Enjoy streaming your favorite movie.
How to Change Netflix Region with VPN On PS4?
VPN on a PS4? Yes! Although PS4 doesn’t have the compatibility for native VPN apps, there are ways you can connect to a VPN through your PS4. The first way, connecting your PS4 to a VPN-enabled router that can cover all the devices which are connected to that router. The second way is to connect your PS4 to a computer that has a VPN, the PS4 would connect to your PC via an ethernet cable.
But if that looks like too much trouble, then you can go for a smoother setup by getting ExpressVPN. With ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer feature you can cover your VPN needs for your PS4. But it is to keep in mind that MediaStreamer offers DNS Service, not VPN service. This means that you can easily change your region on your PS4 but your traffic is not encrypted. MediaStreamer comes along with an ExpressVPN subscription for free.
Following these steps, you can easily connect your PS4 to ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer,
- Sign up with a plan for a trusted VPN service.
- Go to your VPN website and search for the DNS Settings page.
- Locate IP Address Registration and register your IP Address with the toggle button on.
- Go to your VPN setup page, locate the MediaStreamer DNS Server IP Address (you will need this later).
- Locate Settings on your PS4. Go to Network->Set Up Internet Connection.
- For the section How to Connect to Internet, you can either choose WiFi or LAN. We will be carrying out the WiFi method, so select WiFi.
- Under ‘How Do You Want to Set up Internet Connection’, choose Custom and then select your WiFi Connection and enter the password.
- Choose the following settings and then select Primary DNS,
- For the IP Address Settings, choose Automatic.
- Regarding DNS Settings, choose Manual Setting.
- Leave the DHCP Hostname Settings blank.
- Enter the DNS Server IP which was located in step 4. Click on Done.
- Select the following settings:
- Set the MTU Settings by selecting Automatic.
- For Internet Settings, choose Test Internet Connection.
- Leave the Proxy Server section blank as we will not use it.
- Set the MTU Settings by selecting Automatic.
- Reboot your PS4 and your settings will be changed.
How to Change Netflix Region with VPN On Roku?
Just like the PS4, Roku does not have the compatibility for native VPN apps. But there are three basic ways from which you can change your Netflix region while using Roku,
- Set up a VPN-enabled router and connect your Roku to the router.
- Connect your Roku to a WiFi Hotspot set up on a computer with VPN enabled.
- Connect your Roku to your Android phone with VPN enabled.
How to Change Netflix Region with VPN On TV?
It is Saturday Night, you want to stream your favorite movie on Netflix but the movie you’re looking for is not available in your region’s library? Well, don’t worry. Follow these steps to make sure you don’t spoil your movie night!
- Subscribe to a trusted VPN service (ExpressVPN is a good choice).
- Locate Google Play Store on your TV. Search for your VPN app.
- Download and install the VPN app.
- Enter your username and password to log in to the VPN.
- Set your VPN location to a country where the movie you want to watch is available.
- Launch your Netflix and chill!
Why Do You Need to Change Netflix Region with a VPN?
Netflix has different sets of libraries according to the region. It is possible that a movie or a TV show that you can access in your home region, you might not find it abroad. Netflix detects your IP Address and only shows content that is available in that region due to licensing agreements. Now, if you want to access the international Netflix libraries, you might want to change your Netflix region with a VPN.
For accessing geo-restricted movies or shows, you need to choose a VPN with proper research. Accessing another country’s Netflix library makes Netflix look bad because of its licensing agreements. Keeping this in view, Netflix is very much determined to block VPNs on daily basis. So you have to make sure you choose a reputable VPN service or else all you’ll get is an error code message from Netflix.
Can I Stream My Home Town Netflix From Abroad?
Yes, you can easily stream your hometown Netflix while sitting abroad. You just have to connect to your VPN by following the steps described in this guide. In fact, you can access any Netflix library you want. If you are sitting in the UK and you want to access the US Netflix, you just have to set your location to the US on your VPN and you’re good to go! The same goes for every other region.
Can I Use Free VPN to Change Netflix Region?
Yes, you can use a free VPN to change your Netflix region but it is to be advised to the user that free VPNs are often available for only limited use. VPNs to acquire full access to Netflix requires a lot of effort and resources which is hard to believe if a free VPN is providing those services. If you are using a free VPN to access a Netflix of another region then it is likely that you’ll encounter several problems.
Reputed VPNs spend a lot on their speed throttling issues which the user might face. Free VPNs can slow down your internet speed which is frustrating if you are streaming movies and TV shows because no one can enjoy it if all it does is Buffer. More than that, free VPNs are not secure. They usually earn their share by selling user data to Marketing Agencies for Online User Behavior Analysis.
Can I Change Netflix Region Without a VPN?
Yes, it is possible to change your Netflix region if you don’t want to go for a VPN service. Use a Proxy Service to change your Netflix region. But it is to be advised to the user that Proxy does not encrypt your traffic while streaming Netflix. It is not secure as a VPN. If you are up to make exceptions on your online privacy then you can go for a Proxy. And if not, choose a reputable VPN provider like NordVPN or Surfshark.
Which Region has the Largest Netflix Library?
It has not been officially released by Netflix but according to Finder (a statistical website) the United States has the largest Netflix library with a total number of 5,879 titles (including Movies, TV Shows, Documentaries, etc.) So if you can’t find your favorite movie or TV show in your region then you will possibly find it by accessing the US Netflix library.
Other Countries with Large Netflix Libraries?
Other than the US, there are other countries that have large Netflix libraries in the world, some of them are,
- Australia (5,367 titles)
- India (5,594 titles)
- Czech Republic (5,069 titles)
- Canada (5,734 titles)
- United Kingdom (5,683 titles)
- Japan (5,071 titles)
- Slovakia (5,075 titles)
- Hungary (5,065 titles)
- Ireland (5,223 titles)
How to Solve Netflix Proxy Error?
If you use a VPN to access Netflix of other countries then it is likely that you have been stumbled by the Netflix proxy error. It happens when Netflix detects that you’re using a VPN service or a proxy service. As Netflix has licensing agreements for all the content it has, it works hard to make sure people don’t have access to the geo-restricted content available on its libraries.
Getting rid of the error is easy. If you are using a VPN service, you just have to connect to a different server and then try again to make sure it works. If this doesn’t work, then try clearing your cache and cookies from your browser. These tricks will come in handy for you to get rid of the annoying error code message.
Is it Illegal to Change Your Netflix Region with a VPN?
Technically, it’s not illegal if you change your Netflix region to access the geo-restricted content. After all, you are paying for your subscription plan. You are just accessing the other libraries of Netflix. It is not like you are pirating a movie with illegal means, you are unlocking access to your provider’s international catalog.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Why does Netflix block VPNs?
Is a VPN worthy?
Is using a VPN legal?
Which country server is the safest to connect to?